Creamed Kale About You
TOOLS and EQUIPMENT:
Yield: 5 servings
1 bunch of Kale (remove stems and center ribs from greens, wash & chop)
2 tbsp Butter (or non-dairy alternative)
2 tbsp Flour (or gluten free alternative)
2 cups Milk (or non-dairy alternative, unflavored)
1 cup White Onion, finely chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 tsp Salt
¼ tsp Nutmeg
Grouond Black Pepper to taste
- Place 3 cups of water in a large pot and bring it to a boil.
- Add the kale. Mix and cover. Steam for 4 minutes, or until tender. Mix occasionally.
- Strain in a colander and rinse thoroughly with cold water to cool. Squeeze out any excess water from the kale and set aside.
- Add the butter to a sauce pot on medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the garlic. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Mix in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add milk in a gradual stream all the while whisking the mixture. Add the nutmeg and black pepper and whisk the mixture continuously until it comes to a boil. Simmer, whisking occasionally for 5 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Fold in the steamed kale, heat slowly, adjusting the seasoning if necessary.