Chili Con Veggie is a perfect midweek vegetarian meal. It is a famous produce of falafel Dubai restaurants as its piquant taste makes up for the slight blandness of chickpea falafels. The ample veggie goodness of this dish will make your skin glow from head and toe, and keep you slight and active. It is a highly recommended, savory recipe for anyone wishing to trim down some weight.
Here’s how you can put together a Chili Con Veggie fairly quickly and easily.
You will need:
- 2 medium onions, peeled
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 medium leek, trimmed
- 1 long fresh red chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- ½ cinnamon stick or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 whole nutmeg, for grating
- 250 g dried green lentils
- 250 g dried red lentils
- 2 x 400 g tins of red kidney beans – rinsed and drained
- 2 x 400 g tins of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 x 400 g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1.2 liters organic vegetable stock
- sea salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
What to do:
- Chop down the onions, garlic, leek, and deseeded chili into fine pieces. Fry the tidbits in a heavy-based pan in oil, over medium heat. Fry for about 5 minutes, making sure that the contents have softened.
- Add in spices, dried herbs, and a good grating of nutmeg before frying again for 2 minutes. If the contents of the pan are burning brown or sticking with the pan, sprinkle a splash of water.
- Pour in the tomato puree and stir for another 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Incorporate the lentils, beans, and chopped tomatoes. Then stir in the stock (it can be homemade or stock cubes from the market).
- Let the contents boil a good deal before turning the heat low. At low heat now, let the mixture bubble away for an hour. The purpose of low heat boiling is to thicken the broth. Don’t forget to stir with a spatula every 15 minutes.
- Once thickened and reduced, season it on a jacket potato with coriander leaves sprinkled on top of it and lime wedges and a scoop of sour cream resting on the side.
This quickie is going to become your all time favorite dinner only after the first bite! You have our word!
About the Author:
An avid reader and writer, love music and movies.
(Photo credits: Shutterstock)